
Fire Tower
Zamkovaya Street, 19A
Former wing of the royal stables, military pharmacy, fire brigade, fire tower
The building that now houses the fire tower was constructed in 1783 as a residential wing of the royal stables. The presumed author of the design is architect Giuseppe Sacco. In the early 19th century, a military pharmacy was located here as part of the hospital complex.
In 1870, the city purchased the building to house a fire station, and a wooden watchtower was installed on the roof for observing fires.
π The Emergence of the Fire Service in Grodno
β The fire brigade first appeared in the city in the 1820s β Initially, it was formed from soldiers of the local garrison β From the late 1830s, professional firefighters began to be hired
On May 29, 1885, during a devastating fire, the fire depot and wooden tower survived. However, a serious problem became evident β the towerβs low position did not allow observation of the entire city.
π Interesting fact: City firefighters insisted on relocating the tower to a higher place to improve visibility.
π The New Brick Fire Tower
Around 1902, a new brick fire tower was erected next to the depot β tall, with rooms for storing equipment and keeping horses.
The southern faΓ§ade of the complex facing Zamkova Street included: β houses No. 17 and No. 19 β the brick tower (the fire tower itself) β a one-storey building with wide entrances for fire engines
π· Pay attention: The brick fire tower has survived to the present day and is easily recognizable by its tall structure with rectangular windows. It is one of the symbols of old Grodno β a distinctive silhouette seen on historic postcards and photographs.